Today we had a seminar and I would like to put down some of the insights of the seminar. They are not put in any systematic order. Most of these are insights given by others, which inspired me(I won’t name them here). I think most of the points someway reflect the title of the article.
- We have a tendency to glorify the warrior heroes today, and other heroes are also presented as warriors. When the leaders are divinized/exalted, followers lower themselves. I found both very dangerous tendencies.
- We, as a society and communities have many hurt memories, especially those of the past which came to haunt us time and again. Sometimes, it is used for political gains. (The efforts of reconciliation are extremely important)
- To be human is to transcend oneself to the other (God and fellow human beings). It is much more than just self-actualization.
- Spirituality is much more than devotions and doctrines; it is growing in the relationship with God (for Christians) and reducing my insecurity (increasing trust in God). Thus s/he is at ease with uncertainties, not needing to control and manipulate everything.
- Many Christians find it easy to adore God (for short or long time). But how easy is it to be human like Jesus atleast for an hour?
- Moving away from the dichotomous tendencies, we need to see body and soul, sacred and secular in a more unitary fashion which is more Christian.
- Jesus was really human. It is the invitation to all of us to be the same.